As described by AZ Department of Health Service’s Division of Behavioral Health, “The American Psychiatric Association lists alcohol, amphetamines, barbiturates, cocaine, narcotics, nicotine, and many other chemicals as addictive substances. People are considered chemically dependent if they meet three or more of the following criteria during a 12-month period:
- Needing more of the substance to ‘feel good’ or achieve intoxication
- Having withdrawal symptoms after stopping use or using the substance to avoid those symptoms (see the link for withdrawal symptoms for alcohol, cocaine, narcotics and nicotine below)
- Using more of the substance than usual, or for longer than intended
- Continuing desire for the substance or unsuccessful attempts to cut down or stop using it
- Spending a lot of time to obtain, use, or recover from the substance
- Giving up or cutting back on important social, work-related, or recreational activities
- Continuing to use the substance even though it’s causing problems”
Substance Abuse Programs
There are many alcohol and drug dependence rehab programs in AZ that can help medical marijuana patients eliminate their addiction. Not all programs are the same, so it is important to evaluate the options and find one that meets your needs.
Prescott Area Programs
- Decision Point Center – 505 Whipple Street Prescott, AZ 86301 (855)-230-1492. Website
- Recovery in the Pines – 805 White Spar Rd, Prescott, AZ 86303 (928) 642-7621. Website
- Round Table Recovery – 114 E Navajo Dr, Prescott, AZ 86301 (928) 778-0601. Website
- Prescott Detox Service LLC – 831 Gail Gardner Way, Prescott, AZ 86305 (928) 445-1037.
Tempe Area Programs
- Alice’s Wonderland – 24 South Udall Street, Mesa, AZ 85204 (480)-962-8471. Website
- Arizona Addiction Recovery Center (AARC) – Casa Grande AZ (866)-421-1814. Website
- Arizona Treatment Institute, LLC – 1927 North Trekell Road Suite D Casa Grande, AZ 85222.(520)-836-9788
- Helping Associates, Inc – 1901 N. Trekell Rd, Casa Grande, AZ 85122 (520)-836-1029. Website
- Horizon Human Services – Casa Grande and Globe, AZ (520)-836-1675 Website
- META Services, Inc – 2701 N 16th St # 106, Phoenix, AZ 85006 (602)-650-1212
- The River Source – 108 E 2nd Ave, Mesa, AZ 85210 (480)-827-0322. Website
- Women In New Recovery – 860 N Center St, Mesa, AZ 85201 (480)-464-5764. Website
Click here for additional resources on the AZ Department of Health Service’s Substance Addition Website.
Clic here for a listing of additional AZ Drug & Alcohol Rehab programs.